Deadline for Application26.09.2018
- Application Requirements
- Tests that I Need to Take
1. When will the grantees begin their research activities in the USA?
All nominees who are selected for the grant will have to begin their research activities in the 2019-2020 Fall semester.
2. Can I defer my grant?
No, you cannot. The Grant is valid only for the academic year that the candidate is selected for and cannot be deferred to another academic year. Candidates also cannot start their program earlier than the designated program start date.
3. Does the grant cover the entire length of the Ph.D. Dissertation Research program?
Grants for Ph.D. Dissertation Research are awarded for one academic year (9 months). Students are required to return to Turkey and complete their Ph.D. programs at the end of their grant period.
4. Does the grant cover the total cost of the Ph.D. Dissertation Research program?
Fulbright Ph.D. Dissertation Research Grant covers educational costs up to $50,000.00. A monthly stipend that is calculated at the Fulbright rate (for living expenses), $1,000 book allowance and $350 settling allowance are included in the grant package. Grantees are also provided with ASPE health insurance and a round trip plane ticket.
5. What can be done if tuition and fees are over $50,000.00?
If tuition, fees, and living expenses are over $50,000.00, grantees should cover the remaining sum. You may use your personal funds or look for additional scholarships from other institutions or foundations. However tuition and fees of Ph.D. Dissertation Researchers are generally under $50,000.00 and the grantees do not need to cover any additional expenses.
6. Is there a grantee quota for each field?
No, there isn’t. Candidates are nominated from as many different fields as possible, except for clinical fields that require direct contact with patients.
7. Do I have to pay back the grant?
No, there is no pay back or mandatory service in return for the Grant; however, after a grantee completes his/her education in the USA, there is an obligation to return to Turkey pursuant to the USA J-1 visa rule. Grantees who return to Turkey after completion of their programs cannot get a Green Card or US citizenship for two years, but can apply for a tourist visa. To get more information please click here.
1. Is it sufficient to send my doctorate transcript in my application package?
Certified transcripts for all programs completed (undergraduate and master’s) and still enrolled should be delivered to our Commission.
2. Do I have to decide which university I am going to conduct my research?
Doing an advanced research about the graduate programs in the U.S. in your field will be helpful. We advise you to fill out the university preference section on the 10th page of the Embark application form based on your research of the U.S. programs.
3. Where can I do research on universities?
Some resources that may be helpful with your university search are listed below:
4.Should all my reference letters be in the same format?
Some of the reference letters may be electronic, and some online. Not all reference letters should be in the same format.
5. Should all of my reference letters be completed by academicians?
Preferably, all of your reference letters should have been taken from the academicians you take courses from or work with. One of your referees may be your dissertation advisor. If you want to get a reference letter from a company where you work, you can provide one of three letters this way.
1. Do I need to pass the Ph.D. comprehensive test to apply?
No. You do not need to, but you need to complete your coursework before the time of traveling to the USA.
2. Should I know my dissertation topic to apply for the grant?
Yes, you should have an approved dissertation topic to be able to apply for the grant.
3. Which standardized tests am I required to take in order to obtain admission to a university?
All candidates must take either the TOEFL iBT or IELTS Academic.
4. How can I apply to take the TOEFL?
TOEFL is given in many cities at specific dates on an Internet based system. Detailed information about test centers and dates can be found at www.ets.org/toefl. Online registration for the test can be done via this address.
5. How can I apply to take the IELTS?
IELTS is given at specific dates in many cities in Turkey. Detailed information about test centers and dates can be found at https://www.ielts.org/. Online registration is available to register for the test.
6. What TOEFL or IELTS score should I get to apply to U.S. universities?
For required TOEFL/IELTS scores, visiting web sites of relevant schools in the USA is recommended.
7. How can I deliver my TOEFL/IELTS score to the Fulbright office?
You should use the Commission’s institution code B126 to send your TOEFL iBT score report. You may send your IELTS score by choosing our Commission on the “IELTS Recognising Organisations” list. You can also add the official score reports that you have received to your application package.
Or you may e-mail a scanned copy of your test result to our Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org to have us check the validity of your document and get is attested.