Logo Text

Frequently Asked Questions

Grant Application Period is Now Closed
Thank you for your interest in applying for the Fulbright Postdoctoral Program. The October 16, 2017 deadline has passed and the application period has closed for AY 2018-2019.

 The below information is for your reference only. Kindly keep checking the website for notification of the 2019-2020 announcement as updates to grants occur every year.

1. When will grantees start their research activities in the USA?
Grantees must start their program in the Fall of 2018. The length of the program cannot be less than one academic year (approximately 9 months).

2. Can my grant be postponed?
No. The grant is valid for the academic year in which the scholar is selected, and it is not possible to postpone the grant to another academic year, or to start the program earlier.

3. What is the grant amount?
The sum of grant award varies depending on the school, the US state in which the grantee will be residing, and the grant length, however it is sufficient to cover the living expenses of the scholar.

4. Do I have to pay back the grant?
No, there is no pay back or mandatory service in return for the grant; however, after a grantee completes his/her research in the USA, there is an obligation to return to Turkey pursuant to the USA J-1 visa rule. Grantees who return to Turkey after completion of their programs cannot get a Green Card or US citizenship for two years, but can apply for a tourist visa. To get more information please click here

5. Is it sufficient to send my diploma copy for my doctorate degree?
Yes. It is enough if you send a certified copy of your doctoral diploma or an official document that shows you have successfully passed your thesis defense.

6. Can I send an electronic copy of my doctoral dissertation?
You must have a printed copy of your doctoral dissertation in the application package.

7. Where can I do a search on US universities/research centers?
You can find links to some of the resources you can use to conduct an institution search:


8. How can I deliver my TOEFL/IELTS score to the Fulbright office?
You should use the Commission’s institution code B126 to send your TOEFL iBT score report. You may send your IELTS score by choosing our Commission on the “IELTS Recognising Organisations” list. You can also add the official score reports that you have received to your application package.