How Can I Apply?
|Thank you for your interest in applying for the Fulbright Postdoctoral Program. The October 16, 2017 deadline has passed and the application period has closed for AY 2018-2019.
The below information is for your reference only. Kindly keep checking the website for notification of the 2019-2020 announcement as updates to grants occur every year.
Hand-delivered Packages: The Application Package must be delivered by 17:00 on Monday, October 16, 2017 at the latest to our Commission’s Ankara Head Office.
Mail-delivered Packages: The Application Package must be shipped on October 16, 2017 and received by our Commission’s Ankara Head Office by Wednesday October 18, 2017, at the latest.
We recommend you to use a private courier to ship your application package. Application packages that are received after October 18, 2017 will not be evaluated.
All the necessary documents must be sent all together in your application package. Documents sent after the deadline to be included in your application package will not be accepted.
Documents that must be included in the application package are listed below:
Initially, you need to create an account on the online Embark system and fill out the application form.
1. Application Form: The application form for the Postdoctoral Program is completed using an online system. This online system can be reached via the “Apply” button at the upper right hand side of this page. Applicants are required to click on “Create an Account” and register by using an e-mail address and creating a password. It is recommended to use a universal e-mail address (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc.) instead of an institutional/university e-mail address. Applicants may then log into their account and update information at different times. After submitting this application using the online system, a printout of the application must be added to the application package.
IMPORTANT: For the “Program” please select “Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program”; for the category of the grant please select “Academic Training / Research”.
2. Research Proposal – (Page 5 on the Embark System): Applicants must explain their research proposals in detail in English, including what has been accomplished so far regarding the proposed research, the previous and upcoming steps needed to complete the research, as well as how they plan to conduct the ongoing research in the USA.
A brief summary of the research project must also be typed in the “Research” section of the Application Form. The research proposal must be maximum five pages long and must not exceed 3,500 words.
3. Resume/CV in English – (Page 6 on Embark System): Applicants should include their academic publications (if available) on their resumes.
4. Letter of Invitation – (Page 7 on Embark System): A Letter of Invitation is required from the host university, where research will be conducted. This document is not required at the time of application; however, it will be required after the selection process.
Please list all institutions that you have contacted or are planning to contact on your application form. You may also submit letters if you have already been invited by a US institution.
5. Bibliography – (Page 12 on Embark System): Please add a list of resources you used when preparing your research proposal.
6. Diploma: Applicants should provide a certified copy of their doctorate diplomas or an official document stating that the dissertation defense has been conducted successfully.
7. PhD Dissertation: A copy of your PhD dissertation must be present in the application package.
8. TOEFL or IELTS scores: Fluency in English is mandatory and should be demonstrated by a score of no less than 75 on the Internet Based TOEFL or a 6 overall score on the IELTS Academic. Those who apply to the program must take either TOEFL or IELTS before October 16, 2017.
- TOEFL iBT institution code: B126
- You may select “Fulbright Commission Turkey” from the “IELTS Recognising Organisations” list to send your IELTS score to our Commission.
If you send your score using our institution details, instead of sending a hardcopy result, please include an explanation in your application package.
English proficiency test results are not required for applicants, who have completed their doctoral studies in the USA, Australia, UK, Ireland, Canada, or New Zealand, or who are faculty member at a university of department with English as the language of instruction. Please attach a petition to your application package indicating your status.
9. National Identity Card: Photocopy of the national identity card (front and back) is required.
10. Reference Letters: Applicants should provide three reference letters in English. One of the letters must be from the chair of your defense committee. These letters can be presented in two ways:
- Electronic Reference Letter: Those who are asked to write an applicant reference letters can send the letter by filling in the reference letter form online via Embark application system. If the reference provider’s email address is registered into the system when the initial application form is completed, an Electronic Reference Letter form will be automatically sent to the indicated individual’s e-mail. It is recommended to use a universal e-mail address (gmail, hotmail, yahoo extension) instead of the institutional/university e-mail address of the referee.
- Hand-delivered Reference Letter: The applicant may obtain the reference letter personally and send it with the application documents. Please download the reference letter form and utilize the format for the letter. Reference letters must be sealed and signed by the individual who has written the reference across the envelope’s seal.
Any other format besides the designated two formats cannot be used for this grant application. Applications missing reference letters will not be evaluated. All reference letters must be written in English.
11. Photograph: One current photograph with the applicant’s name written on the back of the photograph must be provided.
Below is a list of documents which can also be found on the Embark online application system. These documents are not required at the time of application, but will be required after the selection process:
- English Language Proficiency Form – (Page 8 on Embark System)
Unlike the TOEFL and IELTS score reports, this is a separate form in the Embark system.
- Financial Support – (Page 9 on Embark System)
- J-1 or J-2 visa – (Page 10 on Embark System)
- Passport – (Page 11 on Embark System)
IMPORTANT: Documents delivered to the Turkish Fulbright Commission for application will not be returned under any circumstances.
To be sure that your application is complete, click here to download the Document Checklist.
Before completing the application process, we recommend a meeting with our Advising Unit for questions on the sufficiency of your application (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com).