How Can I Apply?
Deadline for Application30.10.2017
Hand-delivered Packages: The Application Package must be delivered by 17:00 on Monday, October 30, 2017 at the latest to our Commission’s Ankara Head Office.
Mail-delivered Packages: The Application Package must be shipped on October 30, 2017 and received by our Commission’s Ankara Head Office by Wednesday November 1, 2017, at the latest.
We recommend you to use a private courier to ship your application package. Application packages that are received after November 1, 2017 will not be evaluated.
All the necessary documents must be sent altogether in your application package. Subsequently sent documents to be included in your application package will not be accepted.
Documents that must be included in the application package are listed below:
Initially, you need to create an account on the Embark system and fill out the application form.
1. Application Form: The application form for the Visiting Scholar Program is completed using an online system. This online system can be reached via the “Apply” button at the upper right hand side of this page. Applicants are required to click on “Create an Account” and register by using an e-mail address and creating a password. It is recommended to use a universal e-mail address (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc.) instead of an institutional/university e-mail address. Applicants may then log into their account and update information at different times. After submitting this application using the online system, a printout of the application must be added to the application package.
2. Research Project – (Page 5 on the Embark System): Applicants must explain their research proposals in detail in English, including what has been accomplished so far regarding the proposed research, the previous and upcoming steps needed to complete the research, as well as how they plan to conduct the ongoing research in the USA.
In addition, the research project should also be sent via e-mail as a Microsoft Word document attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. The research projects will be sent to the Committee members for evaluation. With that in mind, the applicant should not state any personal information in the research project document.
A brief summary of the research project must also be typed in the “Research” section of the Application Form. The research proposal must be maximum five pages long and must not exceed 3,500 words.
3. Resume/CV in English – (Page 6 on Embark System)
4. Letter of Invitation – (Page 7 on Embark System): Letter of Invitation is required from the host university where the research will be conducted. It is not required at the time of application; however, it will be required after the selection process.
Please list all institution that you have contacted or are planning to contact on your application form.
5. Bibliography – (Page 12 on Embark System): Please add a list of resources you used when preparing your research proposal.
6. Diploma: Applicants should provide a certified, English copy of their doctorate diplomas.
7. Photocopy of the TOEFL or IELTS scores: Fluency in English is mandatory and should be demonstrated by a score of no less than 75 on the Internet Based TOEFL or a 6 overall score on the IELTS Academic. There is no year limit on the validity of the test score reports, however scores received before 2005 will not be accepted.
- TOEFL iBT institution code: B126
- You may select “Fulbright Commission Turkey” from the “IELTS Recognising Organisations” list to send your IELTS score to our Commission.
If you send your score using our institution details, instead of sending a hardcopy result, please include an explanation in your application package.
English proficiency test results are not required for applicants, who have completed their doctoral studies in the USA, Australia, UK, Ireland, Canada, or New Zealand, or who are currently faculty member at a university of department with English as the language of instruction. Please attach a petition to your application package indicating your status.
8. National Identity Card: Photocopy of the national identity card (front and back) is required.
9. Permission of Leave: Applicants must provide a letter from their affiliated institution or universities’ Rectorate stating that he/she has permission to take a leave of absence to conduct research in the USA.
This letter must also state the current position, the start date of the applicant to the institution, and that he/she has not resided in the USA for more than nine months in the last five-year period preceding the date of application.
10. Reference Letters: Applicants should provide three reference letters in English. These letters can be presented in two ways:
- Electronic Reference Letter: Those who are asked to write an applicant reference letters can send the letter by filling in the reference letter form online via Embark application system. If the reference provider’s email address is registered into the system when the initial application form is completed, an Electronic Reference Letter form will be automatically sent to the indicated individual’s e-mail. It is recommended to use a universal e-mail address (gmail, hotmail, yahoo extension) instead of the institutional/university e-mail address of the referee.
- Hand-delivered Reference Letter: The applicant may obtain the reference letter personally and send it with the application documents. Please download the reference letter form and utilize the format for the letter. Reference letters must be sealed and signed by the individual who has written the reference across the envelope’s seal.
Any other format besides the designated two formats cannot be used for this grant application. Applications missing reference letters will not be evaluated. All reference letters must be written in English.
11. Photograph: One current photograph with applicant’s name written on the back of the photograph must be provided.
Below is a list of documents which can also be found on the Embark online application system. These documents are not required at the time of application, but will be required after the selection process:
- English Language Proficiency Form – (Page 8 on Embark System)
Unlike the TOEFL and IELTS score reports, this is a separate form in the Embark system.
- Financial Support – (Page 9 on Embark System)
- J-1 or J-2 visa – (Page 10 on Embark System)
- Passport – (Page 11 on Embark System)
IMPORTANT: Documents delivered to the Turkish Fulbright Commission for application will not be returned under any circumstances.
To be sure that your application is complete, click here to download the Document Checklist.
To get detailed information about the online application, click here.
Before completing the application process, we recommend a meeting with our Advising Unit for questions on the sufficiency of your application (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org).