Logo Text

Frequently Asked Questions



Grant Details


1. When will the grantees begin their education in the USA?
All nominees who are selected for the Grant will begin their education in the 2019-2020 Fall semester on the condition that they graduate in July 2019 at the latest.

2. Can I defer my grant?
No, you cannot. The Grant is valid only for the academic year that the grantee is selected for and cannot be deferred to another academic year. Grantees also cannot start their program earlier than the designated program start date.

3. Does the Grant cover the entire length of the Master’s program?
Fulbright Master’s Grants are given for a maximum of 2 academic years depending on the grantee’s academic success. Grant covers the entire length of one or 2-year programs but not 3-year programs. Therefore, grantees should cover the costs of the remaining year on their own.

4. Does the Grant cover the total cost of the Master’s program?
Fulbright Grants are up to $50,000 for tuition and fees (including $1,000 book allowance, $350 settling allowance, and health insurance) and a monthly stipend between $1,280 – $2,160 for living expenses (the amounts are calculated based on a chart prepared according to the cities) for one academic year. Also a round trip plane ticket will be provided for each grantee.

5. What can be done if tuition and fees are over $50,000?
If tuition, fees, and living expenses are over $50,000, grantees should cover the remaining sum. You may use your personal funds or look for additional scholarships from other institutions or foundations.

6. Is there a quota for each field?
No there isn’t. Candidates are nominated from as many different fields as possible, except for clinical subfields of certain programs.

7. Do I have to pay back the Grant?
No, there is no pay back or mandatory service in return for the Grant; however, after a grantee completes his/her education in the USA, there is an obligation to return to Turkey pursuant to the USA J-1 visa rule. Grantees who return to Turkey after completion of their programs cannot get a Green Card or US citizenship for two years, but can apply for a tourist visa. To get more information please click here.


Application Requirements


1. Can I apply for two different fields or degrees simultaneously?
No. You must decide which field or degree you are applying for prior to your application. It will not be possible to make any changes later.

2. I’m an undergraduate student/graduate; can I apply for integrated PhD programs?
Yes, you can. But please research the graduate programs in the US universities to confirm that there are integrated PhD programs in your field. Also, make sure that your CGPA fulfills the requirement of the Fulbright PhD Grant application.

3. I’m currently an undergraduate/graduate student. Is my CGPA at the moment of the application or my CGPA at the time of graduation taken into account?
Both your current CGPA and graduation CGPA must be at least 3.00 out of 4.00 or 76.66 out of 100. If you graduation CGPA will be below the requirement, your nomination will be dropped.

4. My GPA is 2.99 out of 4.00 (or 76 out of 100). Can I apply?
Applications of students whose CGPA is lower than 3.00 out of 4.00 (or 76.66 out of 100) will not be taken into consideration. If your university is using a double system of scoring, your CGPA out of 4.00 will be taken into consideration.

5. Should all my reference letters be in the same format?
Some of the reference letters may be electronic, and some online. Not all reference letters should be in the same format.

6. Should all of my reference letters be completed by academicians?
Preferably, all of your reference letters should have been taken from the academicians you take courses from or work with. If you want to get a reference letter from a company where you work, you can provide one of three letters this way.

7. What does “full-time work experience” for the MBA application mean?
MBA programs in the USA are designed for students who have work experience and are highly competitive. In order to be able to receive admission from a university, students who want to study in an MBA program need to have at least two years of full-time work experience. MBA programs are regarded as “professional” programs rather than academic ones. It is recommended that a nominee has at least one-year of work experience at the time of application and continue to work for one more year until the program in the USA starts upon selection for the grant.

8. What if you are currently a Master’s student or have a Master’s degree?
Applicants who are registered in a master’s program or those who have a Master’s degree will not be prioritized for the Fulbright Master’s Grant. However, if you still want to attend a master’s program in order to seek a professional career, you may apply for the Fulbright Master’s Grant. You will need to explain why it is necessary for you to get a second master’s degree. You can also apply for the Fulbright PhD Grant.

9. What if you are a 3rd and 4th year student or if you have graduated?
If you want to study Psychology, Economy, Engineering and/or Physical Sciences for a future academic career, integrated PhD programs may be more appropriate for you. Master’s programs in these fields are lower in number compared to other fields. In order to make the best decision, we suggest you research and find out if programs offered in these fields match your goals.

10. Do I have to decide which university I am going to apply for?
Doing an advanced research about the graduate programs in the US in your field according to the degree levels will help you decide on the grant degree (Master’s/PhD) and field of your application. You are advised to fill in the section regarding your university preferences on the 10th page of the Embark application in line with your research.

11. Where can I do research on universities?
Some of the additional resources are listed here: www.educationusa.state.gov, www.gradschools.comwww.petersons.com, www.princetonreview.com.

12. I have filed my application for the U.S. Green Card Lottery. May I apply for the Fulbright grant?
Unless you are a winner of the lottery and have started the legal application process, you may apply for the grant.

13. Can I apply to Fulbright Grants in the following years if my application for this year is not successful?
Being unsuccessful in one year does not prevent you from applying again. There are many Fulbright scholars who are entitled to receive our scholarship by reapplying.


Tests that I Need to Take

Tests that I Need to Take to Apply for the Grant:

Only the TOEFL iBT or Academic IELTS exams are required during the application process. GMAT/GRE scores will be asked from nominees after they are selected for the Grant.

You must take either the TOEFL iBT or Academic IELTS exam until the application deadline.

1. How can I apply to take the TOEFL?
TOEFL is given in many cities at specific dates on an Internet based system. Detailed information about test centers and dates can be found at www.ets.org/toefl. Online registration for the test can be done via this address.

2. How can I apply to take the IELTS?
IELTS is given at specific dates in many cities in Turkey. Detailed information about test centers and dates can be found at https://www.ielts.org/. Online registration is available to register for the test.

3. How can I deliver my TOEFL/IELTS, GRE, and GMAT scores to the Fulbright office?
You should use the Commission’s institution code B126 to send your TOEFL iBT score report. You may send your IELTS score by choosing our Commission on the “IELTS Recognising Organisations” list. You can also add the official score reports that you have received to your application package.
Or you may e-mail a scanned copy of your test result to our Commission at advising@fulbright.org.tr to have us check the validity of your document and get is attested.


Tests that I Need to Take to Apply for US Universities:

1. Which standard tests am I required to take in order to obtain admission to a university?
All candidates must take the TOEFL/IELTS tests. Candidates must also take the GRE except for those who are pursuing a master’s degree in Law and Business Administration. Candidates who are seeking a master’s degree in Business Administration (MBA) and its subfields must take the GMAT instead of the GRE.

2. Universities usually do not require GRE score for Music, Design and Art Programs. Do I have to take the GRE if I am applying for these fields?
If a nominated candidate makes his/her application through the Institute of International Education (IIE), he/she must take the GRE. Candidates who will be making self-applications will need to check the requirements of the programs they will be applying for.

3. How can I apply to take the GRE?
Detailed information about test centers and dates can be found at www.ets.org/gre.

4. How can I apply to take the GMAT?
GMAT is a computer based exam. Detailed information about test centers and dates can be found at www.gmat.com.

5. What TOEFL/IELTS score should I get to be admitted to US universities?
It is recommended that you check the website of the university or program of interest in the US for the recommended score ranges of the TOEFL or IELTS exams.

6. What GRE score should I get to be admitted to US universities?
It is recommended that you check the website of the university or program of interest in the US for the recommended score ranges of the GRE exam.

7. What GMAT score should I get to be admitted to US universities?
It is recommended that you check the website of the university or program of interest in the US for the recommended score ranges of the GMAT exam.