Logo Text

Frequently Asked Questions

Grant Application Period is Now Closed
Thank you for your interest in applying for the Ph.D. Grant. The April 10, 2017 deadline has passed and the application period has closed for AY 2018-2019.

 The below information is for your reference only. Kindly keep checking the website for notification of the 2019-2020 announcement as updates to grants occur every year.


Grant Details


1. When will the grantees begin their education in the USA?
All nominees who are selected for the Grant will begin their education in the 2018-2019 Fall semester, on the condition that they graduate in July 2018 at the latest.

2. Can I defer my grant?
No, you cannot. The Grant is valid only for the academic year that the grantee is selected for and cannot be deferred to another academic year. Grantees also cannot start their program earlier than the designated Program start date.

3. Does the Grant cover the entire length of the PhD program?
Fulbright PhD Grants are given for a maximum of 2 academic years depending on the grantee’s academic success. Therefore, grantees should cover the costs of the remaining years on their own.

4. Does the Grant cover the total cost of the PhD program?
Fulbright Grants are up to $50,000 for tuition and fees (including $1,000 book allowance, $350 settling allowance, and health insurance) and a monthly stipend between $1,280 – $2,160 for living expenses (the amounts are calculated based on a chart prepared according to the cities) for one academic year. Also a round trip plane ticket will be provided for each grantee. As the Fulbright Grant will end after the second year of the PhD program, grantees must provide financial assistance from other sources (family, school, assistantship, etc.).

5. What can be done if tuition and fees are over $50,000?
If tuition, fees, and living expenses are over $50,000, grantees should cover the remaining sum. You may use your personal funds or look for additional scholarships from other institutions or foundations.

6. Can I get an extension for my grant after two years?
No, Fulbright grants are given for a maximum of 2 academic years depending on grantees’ academic success on the first year.

7. I got a tuition waiver/assistantship from my university for two years in addition to my Fulbright grant. Is it possible that I will get a tuition waiver/assistantship for the rest of my studies after the Fulbright Grant?
Getting a tuition waiver/assistantship for the first two years of your education from your university doesn’t mean that you can get it for the remaining years as well. Extension of grants from universities usually depends on the student’s academic success and the budget of the program.

8. Is there a grantee quota for each field?
No there isn’t. Candidates are nominated from as many different fields as possible, except for clinical subfields of certain programs.

9. Do I have to pay back the Grant?
No, there is no pay back or mandatory service in return for the Grant; however, after a grantee completes his/her education in the USA, there is an obligation to return to Turkey pursuant to the USA J-1 visa rule. Grantees who return to Turkey after completion of their programs cannot get a Green Card or US citizenship for two years, but can apply for a tourist visa. To get more information please click here


Application Requirements


1. Can I apply for two different fields or degrees simultaneously?
No. You must decide which field or degree you are applying for prior to your application. It will not be possible to make any changes later.

2. I’m an undergraduate student/graduate; can I apply for integrated PhD programs?
Yes, you can. But please research the graduate programs in the US universities to confirm that there are integrated PhD programs in your field. Also make sure that your CGPA fulfills the requirement of the Fulbright PhD Grant application.

3. I’m a student. Is my CGPA at the moment of the application or my CGPA at the time of graduation taken into account?
Both your current CGPA and graduation CGPA must be at least 3.50 out of 4.00 or 88.33 out of 100. If you graduation CGPA will be below the requirement, your nomination will be dropped.

4. My CGPA is 3.49 out of 4.00 (or 88 out of 100). Can I apply?
Applications of students whose CGPA is lower than 3.50 out of 4.00 (or 88.33 out of 100) will not be taken into consideration. If your university is using a double system of scoring, your CGPA out of 4.00 will be taken into consideration.

5. What if you are a 3rd and 4th year student or if you have graduated?
If you want to study Psychology, Economy, Engineering and/or Physical Sciences for a future academic career, integrated PhD programs may be more appropriate for you. Master’s programs in these fields are lower in number compared to other fields. In order to make the best decision, we suggest you research and find out if programs offered in these fields match your goals.

6. Do I have to decide which university I am going to apply for?
Doing an advanced research about the graduate programs in the US in your field according to the degree levels will help you decide on the grant degree (Master’s/PhD) and field of your application.

7. Where can I do research on universities?
Some of the additional resources are listed here: www.educationusa.state.gov, www.gradschools.comwww.petersons.com, www.princetonreview.com.

8. I have filed my application for the U.S. Green Card Lottery. May I apply for the Fulbright grant?
Unless you are a winner of the lottery and have started the legal application process, you may apply for the grant.


Tests that I Need to Take


Only the TOEFL iBT or Academic IELTS score report is a document required for application for the Fulbright Student Program. GMAT/GRE scores will be asked from nominees after they are selected for the Grant.


1. Which standard tests am I required to take in order to obtain admission to a university?
All candidates must take the TOEFL or IELTS.  Candidates must take the GRE except for those who are pursuing a Master’s Degree in Law and Business Administration. Candidates who are pursuing a Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA) and its subfields must take the GMAT and/or GRE.

2. Universities usually do not require GRE score for Music, Design and Art Programs. Do I have to take the GRE if I am applying for these fields?
If a nominated candidate makes his/her application through the Institute of International Education (IIE), he/she must take the GRE. Candidates who will be making self-applications will need to check the requirements of the programs they will be applying for.

3. How can I apply to take the TOEFL?
TOEFL is given in many cities at specific dates on an Internet based system. Detailed information, test centers and dates can be found at www.ets.org/toefl. Online registration for the test can be done via this address.

4. How can I apply to take the GRE?
Detailed information, test centers, and dates can be found at www.ets.org/gre.

5. How can I apply to take the GMAT?
GMAT is a computer based exam. Detailed information, test centers, and dates can be found at www.gmat.com.

6. What TOEFL/IELTS score should I get to apply to US universities?
For required TOEFL and IELTS scores, visiting the web sites of relevant universities in the USA is recommended.

7. What GRE score should I get?
For required GRE scores, visiting the web sites of relevant universities in the USA is recommended.

8. What GMAT score should I get?
For required GMAT scores, visiting the web sites of relevant universities in the USA is recommended.

9. How can I deliver my TOEFL/IELTS, GRE, and GMAT scores to the Fulbright office?
You should use the Commission’s institution code B126 to send your TOEFL iBT score report. You may send your IELTS score by choosing our Commission on the “IELTS Recognising Organisations” list. You can also add the official score reports that you have received to your application package.
You can send a copy of your GRE and GMAT exam score reports to our Ankara office either via standard mail or e-mail (scanned).