Professor Aziz Sancar PhD Grant
The Fulbright Turkey Award in Honor of Professor Aziz Sancar
The Turkish Fulbright Commission awards a special grant program in honor of Prof. Aziz Sancar, recipient of the 2015 Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Professor Aziz Sancar PhD Grant, which is a part of the Fulbright Student Program, is for the 2019-2020 academic year and will be awarded to those who wish to obtain a doctorate degree under the academic supervision of Prof. Aziz Sancar.
Students or graduates of the following departments may apply for the grant:
- Biology (Cell Biology, Microbiology, Cancer Biology, etc.)
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Chemical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
Grantees will complete their PhD education at the Department of Chemistry of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The grant is for maximum two academic years and is designated according to the academic calendar of the University of North Carolina. Renewal of the PhD program depends on the academic success of the grantee at the end of the first year. As the grant covers the first two years of the PhD program, the grantees must provide the necessary financial support themselves (families, universities, assistantships, etc.) for the remaining years.
The total amount of the grant covers expenses up to 50,000 US Dollars for one academic year. The tuition and fees (including 1,000 USD book allowance and 350 USD settling-in allowance) at the University of North Carolina, monthly living expenses (1,380 USD for the Chapel Hill Campus) and health insurance are covered within the limits of the grant. In addition, round-trip plane tickets are bought for the grantees.
Candidates who consider applying for Professor Aziz Sancar PhD Grant must fulfill the conditions of the Fulbright PhD Grant and comply with all application requirements. In addition to the application requirements of the Fulbright PhD Grant, candidates who wish to apply for Professor Aziz Sancar PhD Grant must submit the below-mentioned documents within their application package:
- Professor Aziz Sancar PhD Grant Letter of Application (e-mail your letter of application to email@example.com before the April 9th application deadline and add the original copy with your signature to your application package.)
- Letter of Intent specific to the Professor Aziz Sancar PhD Grant (It must be written in addition to the essays required on the Embark application form and uploaded to the “Additional Documents” section.)
- The candidates must hold a minimum score of 75 for the TOEFL iBT test or 6 for the Academic IELTS test to apply to the Fulbright PhD Grant. However, applicants must be aware that the acceptance criterion for the University of North Caroline is minimum 90 for TOEFL iBT and 7 for IELTS.
- A GRE score is not required at the time of application for the grant; however, selected candidates will have to take the GRE test before applying for admission at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Candidates may apply for both the Fulbright PhD Grant and Professor Aziz Sancar PhD Grant at the same time. It is sufficient to fill a single online (Embark) application form and prepare a single Application Package. The Professor Aziz Sancar PhD Grant Letter of Application, which you will add to your application package, will be taken into account for the consideration of your application to Professor Aziz Sancar PhD Grant.
Candidates can contact the Educational Advising Unit of our Commission via firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for detailed information about application requirements and application documents for the grant.