Earning a Master’s degree is the first step at the graduate level in the U.S.A. Master’s programs usually require completing 30 to 36 credit hours and writing a Master’s thesis. In some Master’s programs, students receive a Master’s degree by taking a comprehensive, qualifying exam instead of writing a thesis. In the Social Sciences field, students can earn a Master of Arts degree (M.A.), and in the Sciences and Engineering field a Master of Science (M.S.) degree. There are also other Master’s degrees such as the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) and Master of Business Administration (MBA).
Joint Degree or Dual Degree Programs allow students to pursue their education in two different fields. Scientists who have earned a Professional Science Master’s (PSM) degree (i.e. in Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Ecosystem, or Forensic Science) can use these degrees to work at Biotechnology companies or in government institutions.
If you have completed a Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, or Veterinary education in Turkey, you can start graduate studies in the U.S.A.
If you are planning on applying to U.S. universities for a Master’s degree, you can also apply for scholarships. In addition to the scholarships given by the universities, students whose GPA is a minimum of 3.00 out of 4.00 or 76.66 out of 100 can apply for the Master’s Grant from our Commission. Apart from the Grants given by our Commission, students can also consider applying for Grants from The Council of Higher Education, Ministry of National Education, TÜBİTAK, Turkish Education Foundation, and other institutions and foundations.
How can I apply for Master’s programs?
If you are planning on making self-applications to Master’s programs at U.S. universities, you can consult the Educational Advisers of our Commission to receive free advising service.
Pay close attention to the following points if you are planning to pursue a Master’s degree in the U.S.A.
1. You need to have a Bachelor’s degree in order to apply for a Master’s program.
2. Generally, the GPA of your undergraduate degree should be a minimum 3.00 out of 4.00. There are universities which accept students with lower GPAs, but the number of such schools is limited. You will need to send your official transcripts to the U.S. universities. If only Turkish transcripts are available from your university have them translated into English and then approved at The Turkish Fulbright Commission Offices.
4. Students should obtain a minimum of three reference letters from professors in which they performed well in their class. If you are applying for MBA or LL.M. programs, you should also obtain a reference letter from your employers.
5. Another criterion for U.S. universities to use in accepting Master’s level students is to see students’ academic work in the field in which they are applying. Work such as papers and presentations, participation at conferences, awards received at national or international competitions, and internships completed help your admission chances.
6. Universities may require students to write a statement of purpose or personal statement in which they mainly state the field they want to specialize in and why they have chosen that field. Add how you have academically prepared yourself for this area and what kind of study plan you are scheduling for the U.S.A. Apart from the CV, this statement of purpose is the only document that will give detailed information about yourself, therefore it is important that it is written carefully.
7. Each university has a different deadline, academic calendar, programs, and elective courses. When you are searching for universities, pay attention to all of these concepts on the department web sites. It is important that you send all your documents on time in order for committees, who are usually comprised of faculty members, to consider you for their programs.
8. When searching for universities, make an initial list of twenty universities you would consider attending and then shorten this list to between six and nine universities after obtaining detailed information about their programs. You can apply to as many universities as you would like, but you should keep in mind that each school has an application fee which ranges from $40 to $50 or $250.
9. If you are applying for scholarships from the universities they may ask for bank statements which show whether you can pay the tuition fees and costs or not. These bank statements should show how much money you and your family or the person who will sponsor your education have in their account and should be in English. This document should show the current amount of money in the account and be an original document.
10. If you also want to receive an assistantship from the department you are applying, you should have a high GPA and high scores on the TOEFL, GRE or GMAT. Assistantships are open to American students as well, and there is strong competition between students to get these assistantships.
11. Some universities may want to conduct an interview with you. These interviews can be performed by an alumnus of the university who live in Turkey or via phone or the Internet.
The universities may ask for extra documents that are not mentioned above. Therefore we advise students to check the web sites of universities carefully.